llah (swt) says in the Qur’an, ′And We certainly sent Musa with Our signs, [saying], “Bring out your people from layers of darkness into the light and remind them of the days of Allah”. Indeed in that are surely signs for everyone who is patient and grateful’. [Qur’an, 14:5]
’Ashura is one of these days of Allah, and it is thus important to respect and pay attention to its virtues and history.
’Ashura: Special From the Very Beginning
According to Imam Al-Ghazali, writing in his Mukhashfa al-Qulub, Umar ibn Al-Khattab (ra) was asked why the day of ’Ashura was considered so noble. Umar (ra) listed a few events which had taken place on ’Ashura, including:
- Allah created the skies and earth on this day, along with the Preserved Tablet
- Allah created Angel Jibril (as)
- Allah created Adam (as), as well as Hawwa (as)
- Allah created Jannah
- Allah enabled Adam (as) to live in Jannah
- The first rain to fall on earth was on ’Ashura
Therefore, since before the beginning of human history, ’Ashura has been filled with significant events.